A Pumpkin Cake Roll is a classic and perfect holiday dessert. The soft and spongy pumpkin cake wraps around the sweet cream cheese and pecan filling, creating the perfect cake to cream ratio! It’s a for sure crowd-pleaser.
Can you believe I’ve never made a cake roll before??
Even crazier? I can’t remember the last time I ate one! I think I had a store-bought pumpkin cake roll forever ago, and it was pretty meh. So I just never tried one again!
I know. I’ve been living under a rock, obviously. My friend Dorothy makes the most amazing cake rolls, and I’ve always thought, “one of these days I ought to make one of those…”
Well, today is that day! I finally made my first cake roll.
And ate two humongo pieces.
And realized that I’ve been missing out on pumpkin cake rolls with rich and creamy cream cheese fillings my entire life!
A big thanks to my very good friend who provided this delicious recipe for me! I will definitely be using it time and time again.
And now that I’ve got my feet wet in the cake roll-making scene, I can’t wait to try out some new variations!
For the Cake:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
For the Filling:
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 6 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- Powdered sugar for dusting towel and top of cake roll
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Line a 15x10-inch jelly-roll pan with parchment paper, and then lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray (yes, do BOTH).
- Prepare a towel (I used a thin flour-sack towel) by dusting it with powdered sugar. You want this to be ready as soon as the cake come out of the oven.
- In a medium bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs and sugar until thick and creamy. Mix in the vanilla and the pumpkin. Finally, mix in the dry mixture until batter forms and is smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and spread evenly. Bake for 13-15 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Immediately invert cake onto the prepared towel, and carefully peel back the parchment paper. Roll up the cake and towel together, starting with the narrow end. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in the powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Once the cake has completely cooled, gently unroll it and remove towel.
- Spread the frosting over the cake, sprinkle with the chopped pecans, and gently re-roll.
- Wrap roll in plastic wrap and chill for at least an hour before slicing. Dust with more powdered sugar if desired before serving.
Don’t miss a bite!
Connect with Something Swanky:
Be sure to check out these other recipes from me and my friends!
Ashton is the owner and author ofSomething Swanky. Although first and foremost a wife and mother, she considers herself an online entrepreneur, freelance writer and photographer, and brand ambassador.Her focus is in food styling, food photography and recipe development.
Latest posts by Ashton (see all)
Leave a Comment