Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
Wake up to these soft and fluffy cinnamon rolls filled with pumpkin pie. The perfect cozy breakfast for those chilly Fall mornings!
**This post is under re-construction! Photos were updated on 9/14/2016, and the recipe will be modified on 10/5/2016. Until then, the original recipe published in September 2013 will be posted here.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Place the butter and milk into a small bowl and microwave for 30 seconds until warmed through and butter starts to melt. Whisk for about 30 seconds. If the butter melts into the milk, it's warm enough. If it doesn't, microwave for another 10-15 seconds until it does.
- Sprinkle the yeast over the warm milk. Sprinkle the sugar over the yeast. If the sugar and yeast don't fall under the surface, swirl gently until they are submerged in the milk/butter mixture. Let sit until foamy.
- Add the flour and salt into the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Add the yeasty liquid, the pumpkin puree, and the egg into the dry ingredients and mix with the bread hook attachment. Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the edges as needed.
- Once a dough ball has formed in the center of the bowl on the bread hook, continue to knead on the hook for 5 more minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest in a warm place until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- Once risen, punch down the dough and roll out to about 1/4 inch on a well floured surface.
- Drizzle the melted butter over the dough.
- Mix together 3/4 cup brown sugar and 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice. Sprinkle it evenly over the butter and dough.
- Roll the dough jelly-roll style. Cut into approximately 12 slices.
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish. Place the cinnamon rolls close together in the dish. Cover and let rise in a warm place until almost doubled in size.
- Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
For the frosting:
- Use a hand mixer or stand mixer to beat together the cream cheese, sugar (YES! granulated!), vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice. Spread the frosting over the rolls.
- Serve warm immediately or store in an airtight container for 3-4 days.