I have some really sad news today.
My computer isn’t going to make it. It took a turn for the worst last week, and it’s just not going to pull through. I’ll do the best I can today to schedule posts on blogger, but I think you all know how that goes– sporadic at best. So forgive me if I suddenly go MIA. I’ll be back, I promise.
I think news like this should really only be doled out with something sweet to balance it out. And lucky for me, I have just the perfect antidote for my computer woes.
Peanut Butter Turtle Kiss Surprise Cookies. Have you ever had a super clever idea, only to realize that there was really nothing clever about it? That, in fact, everybody’s already done it— and did it a long time ago?
That’s what these cookies were for me. I was looking for a way to mail (without breakage) my brother some of my mom’s amazing Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies and thought to myself, “I’ll put the kiss inside the cookie!”
And now are you thinking about the Rolo Surprise cookies that everybody and their dogs have already made?
Well I did too. Which led me, naturally, to use Caramel Kisses. Which inspired the chopped pecans. Which allowed me to call these PB Turtle Kiss Surprise Cookies.
Which makes them totally original. :)
PB Turtle Kiss Cookies
Recipe inspired by: Mom
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup sugar for coating
- 1 package Hershey Kisses filled with Caramel
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
1. Cream peanut butter, shortening, and sugars. Add remaining ingredients and mix together.
2. Scoop out a tablespoon at a time and press flat into palm. Place one kiss and a teaspoon of pecans on each cookie.
3. Gently wrap dough around the kiss and pecans, making sure they are covered completely…
|This one is, obviously, not yet covered completely… it’s being a bad example.|
4. Roll the dough ball in sugar and place on parchment lined cookie sheet.
5. Bake at 350º for 9 minutes. Transfer to wire rack and let cool for at least 5.
And rest assured, even the tiniest of tummies will be tempted by these aromatic, ooey, gooey, delicious cookies: