For the Cookie:
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp molasses
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 3 Tbsp boiling water
For the Retro Cream Filling:
- 1 – 7 oz. jar Marshmallow Cream
- 1/2 c. shortening
- 1 1/3 c. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2-3 Tbsp. milk
For the Cookie:
- Cream the butter and sugars in a stand mixer.
- Add the molasses, eggs, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Mix well.
- Add the flour and oats. Mix well.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the boiling water and mix into the dough.
- Scoop by rounded tablespoons onto parchment lined baking sheets (allow 2 inches for spreading) and bake at 350º for 10-12 minutes until set around the edges.
- Let cool on the baking sheet.
For the Retro Cream:
- Using an electric hand mixer, beat together the shortening and the marshmallow cream in a very large bowl (there will be splatter– you’ve been warned).
- Beat in the powdered sugar, 1/3 cup at a time.
- Add the vanilla and the salt.
- Beat in the milk, 1 tbsp. at a time, beating in between additions, until mixture is smooth and fluffy.
- Pipe about 2 tbsp. of the filling onto the underside of one cookie. Top with another cookie.
You can save this recipe to your own Recipe Box via ZipList. And they’ll take the ingredients from the recipe and generate a shopping list just for you accessible on your computer or mobile device! I use mine all the time. If you aren’t already using this really awesome recipe tool, take a minute to sign up at ZipList.com (it’s free)!